When I was a kid, I never did things "the regular way". When tying my shoelaces, I never did the "standard shoelace knot" like everyone I knew. I tried to learn it, but instead, I went for the "bunny ears knot", without anyone teaching me. I just tried to look at it from different directions and finally figured it out. When studying, I never memorized facts like most of my classmates. I never quite figured out how to just memorize them, I always tried to understand them and learn them with other techniques. I remember how I used to write in a "wrong" position, which I learned later in life, to be called "the hook", since the palm looks like a hook in this position. I could list many things, but what I am trying to say is, I always felt odd. I used to think that it was wrong to be different, but now I know it is what we call "creativity".
Also, I loved creativity; in different ways, at different ages. At a very young age, I enjoying drawing, painting, coloring, designing cards, building stuff,...etc. At my older childhood, I loved writing in my diary, making up stories and even songs. Then, I think it all changed to writing short stories, articles, sketching and just discovering different types of art.
What I am trying to say is: I can't live without creativity.
So what is creativity anyway? well, according to my dictionary, it means:
the ability to produce new ideas or things using skill and imagination.I love creativity and I owe it a lot, since it is the reason why I survived a lot of things and discovered different sides of myself that I didn't even know existed. And today, I was wondering what the world would be like, if there wasn't any creativity, and here is what I came up with:
- There wouldn't be books, movies, shows, paintings, sculptures or any kind of arts.
- There wouldn't be TV, computer, mobile phones, or any digital device.
- Not to mention, the absence of machines like washing machines, refrigerators, irons,...etc.
- Societies know what "change" is. It would be the same throughout the centuries, consequently there wouldn't be "history".
- Everything would be made up of facts. What a bore!
- There wouldn't be any writings since writing itself, the shape of the words, the art of handwriting, are "creativity".
- We would wear the same clothes, talk the same way, have the same occupation. We would just be a bunch of living robots, that are very similar to each other.
I personally think that creativity shouldn't be about creating a masterpiece, but it should be about to produce something that expresses your personality, your thoughts, your dreams.
Now, I think we all owe creativity big times because we wouldn't be living in that world of ours today if it weren't for creativity.
Photo credits go to Flickr.