Facebook

Monday, September 13, 2010

Creativity & I


When I was a kid, I never did things "the regular way". When tying my shoelaces, I never did the "standard shoelace knot" like everyone I knew. I tried to learn it, but instead, I went for the "bunny ears knot", without anyone teaching me. I just tried to look at it from different directions and finally figured it out. When studying, I never memorized facts like most of my classmates. I never quite figured out how to just memorize them, I always tried to understand them and learn them with other techniques. I remember how I used to write in a "wrong" position, which I learned later in life, to be called "the hook", since the palm looks like a hook in this position. I could list many things, but what I am trying to say is, I always felt odd. I used to think that it was wrong to be different, but now I know it is what we call "creativity".

Also, I loved creativity; in different ways, at different ages. At a very young age, I enjoying drawing, painting, coloringdesigning cards, building stuff,...etc. At my older childhood, I loved writing in my diary, making up stories and even songs. Then, I think it all changed to writing short stories, articles, sketching and just discovering different types of art.

What I am trying to say is: I can't live without creativity.

So what is creativity anyway? well, according to my dictionary, it means:
the ability to produce new ideas or things using skill and imagination
I love creativity and I owe it a lot, since it is the reason why I survived a lot of things and discovered different sides of myself that I didn't even know existed. And today, I was wondering what the world would be like, if there wasn't any creativity, and here is what I came up with:
  1. There wouldn't be books, movies, shows, paintings, sculptures or any kind of arts.
  2. There wouldn't be TV, computer, mobile phones, or any digital device.
  3. Not to mention, the absence of machines like washing machines, refrigerators, irons,...etc.
  4. Societies know what "change" is. It would be the same throughout the centuries, consequently there wouldn't be "history".
  5. Everything would be made up of facts. What a bore!
  6. There wouldn't be any writings since writing itself, the shape of the words, the art of handwriting, are "creativity".
  7. We would wear the same clothes, talk the same way, have the same occupation. We would just be a bunch of living robots, that are very similar to each other.
The list can go on and on, but I wish to stop here.

I personally think that creativity shouldn't be about creating a masterpiece, but it should be about to produce something that expresses your personality, your thoughts, your dreams.

Now, I think we all owe creativity big times because we wouldn't be living in that world of ours today if it weren't for creativity.

Photo credits go to Flickr.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for following my blogs!

    Most appreciated.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I loved this post on creativity. I always was a little different as well. :) Thanks for following my blog! Don't forget to enter my contest as well, I've got some pretty awesome stuff going up for grabs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following my blog. Hope it affords some interesting things :D

    ReplyDelete